Grocery Store

Zoning is the division of the City by legislative regulations into areas, or zones, which specify allowable uses for real property and size and density restrictions for buildings within these areas. The land use on the property will fall within one of the zoning designations relating to residential, commercial, industrial and mixed-use land uses.

What is a planned zoning district?

Planned district projects shall emphasize orderly development at a quality level exceeding that found in projects developed under conventional zoning in accordance with Chapter 18.14, Zoning Districts. Planned district zoning is reserved for those areas that are sensitive due to natural features, adjoining land uses, or high visibility. Planned districts shall not be used to reduce standards and requirements, but shall be used as a means to improve development quality.

How does the City's Comprehensive Plan affect zoning and land use, and how is land use determined?

The Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use map designates property as residential, nonresidential, public buildings/schools, parks and open space, and future growth area. In the consideration of any application for a zoning amendment or a special use request, the Planning Commission and the Governing Body shall determine whether the proposal conforms to the adopted Comprehensive Plan and any other recognized plans, studies or policies normally utilized by the City in making land use decisions.

Corridor Plan and Overlay Districts:

An overlay district allows for additional requirements to be added to a base land use zoning district without disturbing the requirements of that district. In the instance of conflicting requirements, the stricter of the conflicting requirements apply.

Adopted Overlay Districts :

Adopted Land Use Plans:

  • K-7 Corridor Plan
  • Woodland Road Corridor Plan
  • Coffee Creek Master Plan
  • Lone Elm Vicinity Plan

Land Use Actions Requiring Public Hearings

Zoning regulations are the requirements that determine how parcels of land may be used. The following types of cases require Public Hearings by the Planning Commission and include Rezonings, Special Use Permits, and Vacations.

When owners want to develop or use their property in ways that do not conform to their current zoning regulations, they must apply for a change to their zoning classification, also commonly referred to as a Rezoning. Application

Special Use Permit
Certain uses of land, buildings or structures may not be appropriate under all circumstances in any given zoning district, but may be appropriate where adequate precautions can be taken to assure compatibility with surrounding uses, public need and the City as a whole. Special use permits to allow such uses are granted through Governing Body approval.

When it is deemed to be in the public interest, all or a portion of any street, alley or public reservation, including, but not limited to , public utility or drainage easements, dedicated building setback lines and access control may be vacated. Vacations to allow such changes are granted through Governing Body approval.

 Neighborhood Meeting Policy