Residential Building Permits

A residential building permit is needed for the following improvements:

  • New single family residence or duplex units.
  • Room addition.
  • Interior remodel.
  • Other: garage (attached/detached), carports, storage buildings/sheds (over 200-square-feet), decks (above 30"), deck with a roof covering, patio roof covering, gazebo and pools (in-ground & above ground).

Apply for a residential building permit by submitting the following information, to the Building Codes Division, for review and approval:

  • Residential building permit application.
  • One copy of original sealed plot plan/survey of lot.
  • One copy of original sealed construction plans (unless established as a master plan).
  • One CD of plans in TIF or PDF format.
  • Johnson County sewer permit (if served by Johnson County Wastewater).
  • Plan review /permit fee is payable to the City of Olathe when the permit is issued.

It is our goal to review and return comments for residential building permits within three working days (beginning the first working day after submittal). Incomplete applications or incorrect information may delay plan review and permitting.

Helpful Links

Address and Zoning Lookup

Fees and Schedules