Ages 15 & Up (Must be 15 by end of the class)
Four 9 hour classes
$220/Olathe residents $200
Must attend all classes.
This class emphasizes professionalism, prevention, surveillance, victim recognition, disease prevention and equipment based rescues. CPR and First Aid certification is included in the basic instruction along with textbooks and a CPR mask. Successful completion of the class will earn you the certifications required to become a candidate for a lifeguard position. Because of equipment rental and subjects covered, attendance is mandatory and crucial to all sessions.
Prerequisites (must pass the first night to go on in class):
1. Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. Rhythmic breathing to the side or to the front.
- 100 yards of breaststroke
- 100 yards of either front crawl using rhythmic breathing or breaststroke. This 100 yards may be a mixture of front crawl and breaststroke.
2. Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10 pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point exciting within 1 minute 40 seconds.
3. Tread water for two minutes using legs only.