Olathe, Kansas, Police Department
9/2007 VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM
PLEASE PRINT or TYPE DATE:____________________
Last First MI
Spouse Name: ________________________________________________Birth date______________________
City __________________________________________________State ________Zip_____________________
Home Telephone________________Work Telephone ________________E-mail ________________________
Driver's License #___________________________State ______ Soc. Sec. # ____________________________
Employer ____________________________________Occupation ___________________________________
Business Address _________________________________City _________________ State _____ Zip _______
Previous Work Experience ____________________________________________________________________
Previous Volunteer Jobs ______________________________________________________________________
Have you or your spouse ever been arrested for a crime? Yes__________ No__________
If yes, explain:______________________________________________________________________________
Times you are available to Work:
Hours per Week Days Available Times Available
Character reference (2) other than a relative, who has known you for the past 5 years:
Emergency Contact Person
Name ___________________________________________Relationship _______________________________
Address _______________________________________________Telephone #__________________________
I certify that the information contained in this application is true and complete to the best of my
knowledge. You are authorized to conduct any investigation into my personal history. I understand that
any misrepresentation or omission of facts will be sufficient cause for denial.
Please return completed Application to Community Outreach Coordinator, Beth Wegner.
Olathe Police Dept. 501 E. Old 56 HWY, Olathe, KS 66061, (913) 971-6323
JOB DESCRIPTION and CRITERIA for VOLUNTEERS
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. CONTACTS Citizens and PROVIDES information about Crime Prevention Programs.
2. RECEIVES information and PREPARES written reports, such as parking violation logs, recaps,
vehicle maintenance logs, etc.
3. INPUTS codes and information into the computer system; VERIFIES accuracy.
4. MAINTAINS logs; PREPARES and DISTRIBUTES various reports.
5. ANSWERS and routes telephone calls and takes messages.
6. RECEIVES, DIRECTS and PROVIDES information to visitors.
7. PERFORMS miscellaneous office tasks, such as typing, filing, distributing mail, copying
documents, shredding documents, etc.
8. WRITES tickets to handicapped and fire lane violators
9. TESTIFIES in Municipal Court if needed for traffic tickets issued.
10. RIDES the bicycle/pedestrian trails in Olathe and ASSISTS with other special events.
11. CLEANS, SUPPLIES and CARES for the animals at the Animal shelter
12. PERFORMS any other duties deemed appropriate based on the individual volunteer's abilities and
deemed necessary as determined by the unit supervisor.
1. Must be a citizen of the United States of America.
2. Must be at least 18 years old and live or work in Olathe.
3. Possess a valid Kansas state driver's license. No DUI conviction within the past 5 years, three or
more citations within any 18 month period within the past 5 years, three or more chargeable or at
fault accidents within the past 5 years and no driver's license suspension or revocation within the
past 5 years.
4. Complete a Volunteer Application Form.
5. Sign Confidentiality Statements and a Waiver for Background Checks.
6. Successful completion of a background and character reference check.
7. Successful completion of an oral board interview.
8. Successful completion of a polygraph examination.
9. Submit two Applicant Fingerprint cards to be completed by the Police Department
10. Have available legally insured transportation and be willing to use it in the scope of their assigned
duties in the absence of city provided vehicles. Must provide copy of current vehicle insurance.
In addition, the position of volunteer will require whatever qualifications are necessary and desired to
perform the specific duties as determined by the Crime Prevention Unit Supervisor. Upon careful
evaluation of the applicant, selection is at the discretion of the Community Policing Unit Supervisory
Staff, with final approval from the Chief of Police.
REASONS FOR DISQUALIFICATION
FALSE STATEMENT: False statement of material fact/deception/fraud.
FELONIES: No felony convictions or commission of a felony in past 10 years.
MISDEMEANORS: Conviction and/or commission of a Class "A" or "B" within the past
five years. Crime of moral turpitude in the past ten years.
DRIVING RECORD: No DUI conviction within the past 5 years. Three or more citations
within any 18 month period within the past 5 years. Three or more chargeable or at fault
accidents within the past 5 years. Drivers license suspension or revocation within the past 5
PROBATION/PAROLE: Currently on probation, parole or diversion. (Inclusive of
deferred adjudication). Pardoned for any reason other than being innocent.
NARCOTICS/CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE: Use of any illegal drug within the past 5
years or the sale of a controlled substance at any time.
MARIJUANA: Any use in the past three years.
MILITARY DISCHARGE/CONDUCT: Discharge other than honorable (no conditions).
Conviction/commission of court martial offense.
THEFTS: Commission/conviction of a Class "C" theft within the past 2 years.
Commission/conviction of a Class "A"/"B" within the past 5 years.
UNACCEPTABLE BACKGROUND: Work history, educational history, military service,
general reputation, and interpersonal relationship.
SKILLS AND INTERESTS
Please check the appropriate box you feel best suits your skills and interests. Return this
form with the 1st page of the Application.
_____Must be accurate
_____Excel or Word (underline)
_____Dealing with public (people skills)
_____Digital camera use
_____Ticket writing (good penmanship)
_____Knowledge of under the hood fluids
_____Dealing with public
_____Assisting the public with knowledge of First Aid, CPR
_____Communication with Police by cellular phone
_____Availability for training and extra duty
_____Filling Food and Water Bowls
_____Some handling of animals