MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
You must meet the following minimum requirements in order to receive consideration for the position of police officer:
Be 21 years of age on the date of employment
Must be a United States citizen
Possess a high school diploma or GED
Ability to distinguish sounds to include a full range of tones and volumes
Have 20/20 corrected vision in both eyes
Successfully pass all phases of the police hiring process (written test, physical agility test, personal history statement, oral board interview, polygraph exam, background investigation, Chief of Police Interview, physical and psychological examination)
Possess a valid driver's license
Establish a residence within a 45 mile radius of the main Olathe Police Department. Any new officer will have one year from their employment date to comply with this policy
You must have the ability to read, speak, and write the English language fluently
Meet any other state and federal requirements presently in existence
REASONS FOR DISQUALIFICATION
REASONS FOR DISQUALIFICATION
- FALSE STATEMENT: False statement of material fact/deception/fraud or intentional withholding of the same
- FELONIES: No felony convictions ever and no commission of a felony in the past 5 years, subject to review
- MISDEMEANORS: Conviction/Commission of a Class "A" misdemeanor within the past 5 years, subject to review. No conviction/commission of a Class "B" misdemeanor within the past two years to include a Failure to Appear traffic conviction, subject to review.
- DRIVING RECORD: Commission/Conviction of a DUI in the past 5 years. Three or more citations within the last 12 months. Three or more chargeable or at fault accidents within the past 5 years. Overall driving history which is deemed unacceptable.
- PROBATION/PAROLE: Currently on probation, parole or diversion (Inclusive or deferred adjudication). Pardoned for any reason other than being innocent.
- NARCOTICS/CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE: Use of any illegal drug, other than marijuana, within the past 5 years. Sale of a controlled substance at any time.
- MARIJUANA: No use of marijuana in the last 3 years.
- MILITARY DISCHARGE/CONDUCT: Discharge that is less than honorable conditions.
- UNACCEPTABLE BACKGROUND: Work history, educational history, military service, general reputation, and interpersonal relationship.
- TATTOO POLICY: "No visible tattoos are allowed that cannot be completely covered by one of the standard issued Olathe Police Department short sleeve Uniforms and/or appropriate business attire, if approved for your position. " Piercings are limited to two earrings per ear and "no gauged body parts."
- CITY WIDE NEPOTISM POLICY: Any applicant who has a relative employed by the City of Olathe is not eligible for employment. The definition of a relative for hiring purposes is a spouse, parent, child, brother, sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, step-grandparent, step-grandchild, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law, and father-in-law.