A Right-of-Way Permit is required when:
- Any excavation work is done within the public right-of-way
- Any work requires the contractor to set up traffic control
- Any work requires pre-placement inspections (typically drive approaches and sidewalks)
The public right-of-way typically starts approximately 11 ft. measured from the back of the curb.
Application to accomplish the proposed work is made under the terms of the Ordinances and Specifications of the City of Olathe, Kansas, governing excavation and/or construction within the public right-of-way. Applicant agrees to perform said work and restoration of right-of-way in accordance with the provisions of said City Ordinances and Specifications and further agrees to satisfactorily repair any failure or damage within the right-of-way resulting from the excavation or construction covered under the permit within one year thereafter.
- Sketch or drawings of proposed work to scale. Show the location of proposed work.
- $1000 Right-of-Way Performance and Maintenance Bond submitted to the City of Olathe to be maintained for one year from date of accepted work. Residential drives are exempt.
- Detailed traffic control plan, if work requires a traffic detour or lane closure.
- For utility work, the contractor is required to notify Engineering Inspection at 913-971-9045 a minimum of 48-hours in advance of any construction. Traffic staff must also be notified at 913-971-5180 a minimum of 48-hours in advance if there are temporary lane reductions or closures. Pre-placement inspections (typically sidewalk and drive approaches in the right-of-way) must be scheduled a minimum of 24-hours in advance by calling 913-971-9045.
- Restoration of the area in accordance with provisions of the Olathe Municipal Code and Technical Specifications.
- Dig Safe
- Olathe Municipal Code Title 12 – Public Property, Chapter 12.08 Street Regulations
- Development Resources
- Right of Way Permit Application - This is an online permitting process
- Citizen Access Online Permitting Process - Review five basic steps in the online process
- Right-Of-Way Permit Application and Specification Manual
- Technical Specifications and Standard Design Details
Contact Right-Of-Way Permit at OlatheConnect or call 913-971-9045 for additional information.