Police Career Information
See Police Career Information for detailed career information.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Be 21 years of age on the date of employment.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Possess a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certification.
- Be able to distinguish sounds within a full range of tones and volumes.
- Have 20/20 corrected vision in both eyes.
- Pass all phases of the police hiring process.
- Possess a valid driver's license.
- Establish a residence within a 45 mile radius of the Olathe Police Department. One year from employment date is allowed to comply with this requirement.
- Possess the ability to fluently read, speak, and write the English language.
- Meet state and federal requirements.
Police Officer Starting Salary
Top-out pay is $72,000.00
Lateral Police Officer Starting Salary
Lateral transfer police officers can receive all or partial credit for their previous years of service. The pay rate will be established based on comparable wages with Olathe Police Officers.
Police Officer Benefits
Olathe Police Officers are regular full-time employees eligible to receive the extensive package of City benefits. View the City of Olathe Benefit Summary for additional information.
- $1200 annual stipend for those who meet City of Olathe criteria for a Spanish or American Sign Language interpreter.
All OPD Officers, including lateral officers from other agencies, enter the Patrol Division when they are hired.
- Officers must be a patrol officer for a minimum of two to three years before they apply for specialty assignments such as investigations, etc.
- The Patrol Division currently works a 4/10 schedule. Officers work four, ten-hour days in a row, followed with three days in a row off duty.