Address: 901 W. Santa Fe Street
Park Location: Calamity Line Park is located on the south side of Santa Fe Street between Iowa and Marion Streets. The park also has a walk-in entrance point on Park Street, west of Logan Street.
History: The 11 acre park was dedicated in 1997. In the early 1870’s, Johnson County voted $100,000 in bonds to support the construction of this railroad and the Olathe township voted an additional $25,000 in bonds if the line would cross the township. In 1872, shortly after the Civil War, a rail line was built in Olathe and ran through the land that is now this city park. This line ran from Olathe to Cedar Junction near DeSoto, then on to Lawrence and points west. The rail line was the St. Louis, Lawrence, Denver and Western Railroad yet locals preferred to call it the “Calamity Line” as the line always seemed to operate on a financial shoestring. The line followed the winding banks of Cedar Creek through what is now Ernie Miller Park from Olathe northwesterly to the Kaw River. From Olathe, the line also traveled southeasterly through Stanley, across what is now Iron Horse Golf Course in Leawood, and crossed the Blue River near Kenneth Road in route to Belton and Springfield, Missouri.