There are more ways than ever to stay updated on City of Olathe news and events.
Safe online shopping tips for Black Friday and Cyber Monday
Black Friday and Cyber Monday are on the holiday horizon, and that means big savings for online shoppers. With so many deals available, cyber thieves will be out in force to take advantage of these savings events. Be on the lookout for common cyber threats while shopping online this holiday season:
- Spoofed websites: These fake websites pretend to be shopping, travel, or charity sites, but are set up to steal visitors’ payment information and personal details. If you see a great deal from a site that you have never heard of before, that website may be fake and malicious.
- Shopping phishing emails: Phishing emails are malicious emails that claim to be from well known, legitimate brands and claim to offer the best shopping or travel deals. However, the links or attachments in these emails may steal personal information such as passwords or payment information, or infect devices with viruses and malware.
- Clickbait: Cybercriminals may post links with enticing headlines on social media to lead shoppers to malicious websites set up to spread viruses and malware, or trick users into entering sensitive information such as passwords or payment information.
- Social media scams: These attacks use popular trending hashtags like #BlackFriday, #CyberMonday and #cyberdeals to spread links to scams, fake deals or giveaways, and sites that spread viruses and malware.
- Malicious banners and pop-up ads: Cleverly designed web banners and pop-up ads may appear legitimate but send users to fake websites intended to fool users into giving away payment information or other personal details.
- Fake gift cards: Websites that advertise discounted gift cards from well-known brands are often scams that sell fake gift cards and even steal payment information for further fraud.
- Fake shipping notifications: Cybercriminals may send phishing emails disguised as shipping or delivery notifications that contain malicious links and attachments or that ask for personal information.