There are more ways than ever to stay updated on City of Olathe news and events.
Dangerously cold temperatures expected in KC Metro
The National Weather Service expects dangerously cold temperatures in the Kansas City metro in the coming days. The coldest wind chills are expected on New Year’s Eve night, with some forecasts predicting wind chills as cold as -30°F. Possible freezing rain may make roads slick and icy as well.
In extreme cold temperatures like those expected, hypothermia and frostbite can set in quickly. Hypothermia symptoms can look similar to inebriation. Frostbite can occur in 15 to 30 minutes with wind chills below -20°F.
Here are some helpful safety tips to keep in mind over the holiday weekend:
- Dress warmly and cover all exposed skin
- Take extra clothing and blankets in your vehicle, even for short trips
- Keep your gas tank above half full
- Tell friends/family of your travel plans and when you expect to return
- Drip faucets and open cabinets to allow warm air around pipes
- Bring pets inside
- Monitor the rooms where infants sleep or spend periods of time
- Check on elderly relatives, friends and neighbors
Dial 911 if you find yourself in a life-threatening situation or have a medical emergency.
Visit PrepareMetroKC.org for more information about how to prepare for winter weather.