There are more ways than ever to stay updated on City of Olathe news and events.
Security awareness for taxpayers
Once again, it is tax season, and the identity thieves are actively attempting to steal tax returns from individual taxpayers. Consider the following steps from the IRS to protect yourself from identity thieves.
Keep your computer secure:
- Use security software and make sure it updates automatically
- Treat your personal information like cash, don’t leave it lying around
- Give personal information only over encrypted websites – look for “https” addresses.
- Use strong passwords and protect them
- Back up your files
Avoid phishing and malware:
- Avoid phishing emails, texts or calls that appear to be from the IRS and companies you know and trust, go directly to their websites instead
- Don’t open attachments in emails unless you know who sent it and what it is
- Download and install software only from websites you know and trust
- Use a pop-up blocker
- Check your credit report annually
- Check your bank and credit card statements often
- Review your Social Security Administration records annually at SSA.gov.
Visit IRS.gov/IdentityTheft for more information on how to protect yourself from identity theft.