Public Service Application
The Mayor of Olathe appoints board members subject to confirmation by the Olathe City Council.
The purpose of the Human Relations Commission (OHRC) is to foster inclusion to ensure that all citizens enjoy equal opportunity to employment, housing, and public accommodations regardless of color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, familial and socio-economic status.
- The OHRC consults with the Olathe City Council and the City Manager about:
- Matters involving racial, religious or ethnic discrimination.
- Measures designed to eliminate prejudice and discrimination.
- The OHRC promotes communications between all groups interested in improving community relations.
- The OHRC partners with the Persons With Disabilities Advisory Board (PDAB) to present Community and Accessible Community Awards.
Members serve three years.
Current members include:
- James Terrones
- Vivian Avery
- Chayan Dasgupta
- Raúl Durán
- Shakil Haider
- Darnell Hunt
- Virginia Nielsen, Vice Chairperson
- Hector Silva, Chairperson
Meetings are held the fourth Monday of every month at 6 p.m. in the City of Governors Conference Room, located in City Hall at 100 East Santa Fe Street. Please notify the community relations manager two business days before a meeting to request special accommodations.
The staff liaison is the community relations manager, 913-971-8827.