- Online Permit Manager
- Online Permitting Process
- Commercial Building Inspections
- Residential Building Inspections
Scheduling Same-Day Inspections
- Same-Day Inspection requests made from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. may get an inspection that afternoon.
- Requests made from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. may get an inspection the following business day.
- Inspections are conducted when forms and steel reinforcement bars are in place and supported.
Foundation Wall Inspections
- Inspections are conducted after all forms and reinforcement steel is in place.
- Walls shall be designed for any lateral or other loads to which they are subjected.
- Inspection times requested for footings and foundations are for ready times only. These requests are not for times the inspector will be able to show up.
- Cold weather requirements for concrete placement include:
- Refer to WeatherBug.com for current and extended forecasts.
- No concrete shall be poured when temperature is 25 degrees or below.
- If the forecast calls for a warming trend (26 degrees and rising over a three-day period) contractors will be allowed to pour.
- Necessary cold weather protection is the responsibility of the contractor of record. Examples include: burlap, straw, hay, covering blankets.
- Under no circumstances will concrete be poured on frozen subgrade, and any frozen material removed.
- Footing and foundation walls should be heated or protected when the temperature is below freezing (32 degrees).
Garage Floor Slab Inspections
Inspections are conducted before placement of concrete after all reinforcing steel or wire mesh is in place and all underslab mechanical, plumbing and electrical work has been inspected and approved.
Basement Floor Slab Inspections
Inspections are conducted before placement of concrete after six mil vapor barrier (required) is in place.
Scheduling Next Business Day Inspections - or As Work Allows
backfills, firewalls, rough-ins, and finals
Underslab plumbing, electrical, and mechanical inspections are required.
- Temporary Electric Service: Temporary power installations, such as power for use during construction projects.
Underslab Electric: Electrical installation that is to be buried.
- Electric Service - New: New electrical service installations where there has not been any electrical service. New services are metered separately.
- Electric Service Change: Any change to an existing electrical service; inspection is done when work is complete.
- Electric Final New Build: When electrical work is complete, inspection is included with the rough-in inspection.
- Electric for Signage: Power supply to a sign.
- Underslab Mechanical: Mechanical work that will be buried.
- Rough-in (commercial mechanical): Non-residential mechanical installations.
- Re Rough-in (commercial mechanical): Corrections from failed rough-in inspection have been completed.
- Commercial Hood: Exhaust hood in a commercial kitchen business.
- Mechanical Repair: Mechanical equipment repair/replace.
- Mechanical Installation: New mechanical installation to an existing building.
- Mechanical Final: Mechanical installation is complete
- Sewer: Piping outside the building connecting drain to the public sewer.
- Sewer Partial: Section of sewer line as described above.
- Underslab Plumbing: Plumbing that will be buried.
- Gas Line Repair: Gas line that required repair due to maintenance issues.
- Gas Line Complete: Gas line installation. An air test is required when all interior/exterior gas piping is complete.
- Plumbing Final: When plumbing work is complete; inspection is included with the rough-in inspection.
- Call 913-971-9407 for City of Olathe sewer inspections.
- Call 913-715-8520 for Johnson County sewer inspections.
Building Inspections staff is available Monday through Friday, from 8am to 5pm. Call 913-971-7900 for additional information.