Cross Connection-Backflow Device Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Cross Connection/Backflow Device Permit Process

  • Submit a Cross Connection Permit Application for each device installed.
  • Permit fees are paid when the application is submitted.
    • Checks are payable to the City of Olathe.
    • Residential and Commercial fees are $45 per device.
  • Your permit number and address will be recorded on a City of Olathe test report and a red permit application copy and a plastic hang bag will be included.
  • Only the City of Olathe test report, red permit application copy and hang bag will be accepted at the time of inspection. Water District # 1 forms are not accepted unless the address is in their service area.
  • Your permit will be returned to you by mail unless you make a request to pick up it up at our office.
  • Call 913-971-7900 if you have questions about the permit.

Cross Connection/Backflow Device Initial Test and Inspection

  • Complete a "backflow device test report" with the certified tester’s signature.
  • Place the white copy - of the backflow device test report - and the red permit application copy in the plastic hang bag.
  • Place the hang bag on the device, and call 913-971-7900 to request an inspection. 
  • If the backflow is being replaced, complete the paper test report plus log into: to update the backflow information and enter the test results.
  • The inspector will pick up the completed test report (white copy) at the inspection. 
  • New cross connection installations should not be mailed to the Cross Connection Control Program.  These need to be collected by the inspector at the inspection.
  • Permits will remain in active status until an inspection is completed.
  • A certificate of occupancy cannot be issued until the permit is closed.
  • Call 913-971-7900 if you have questions about the initial test and inspection.

Cross Connection Annual Testing/Reporting

  • Annual tests are required for the cross connection/backflow device. 
  • The property owner will receive a reminder letter from the City each year.
  • Call 913-971-9055 if you have questions about annual testing/reporting.

New Water Service

This service is for existing buildings with a backflow and water connection.

Additional Resource











Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer