New Single Family Residence – Duplex Permit Process
- Submit a Residential Building Permit Application.
- Indicate whether the "prescriptive" or "energy rater" method will be used for energy code compliance. See the Energy Code Compliance Methods table below.
- Submit one copy of the original sealed plot plan/survey.
- Consult the Residential Plan Requirement Checklist.
- Submit one copy of the original sealed construction plans.
- Submit one CD or flash drive of plans in PDF format.
- Provide a copy of the Johnson County Sewer Permit, if your project is applicable to their service area.
Energy Code Compliance Methods
for Single Family Residence or Duplex
|Comply with 2018 EICC.||Comply with equivalent to 2009 IECC.|
|City staff to verify compliance.||Nationally-certified third party energy rater to verify compliance at cost to applicant.|
|Submit energy code plan sealed by KS licensed design professional.||No energy code plan submittal to the City. Design review to be handled by rater.|
|City plan review may require additional days.||No additional City plan review time required.|
|Schedule additional City inspection for insulation.||No additional City inspection. Insulation inspection to be handled by rater.|
|No blower door nor duct seal tests required by City staff.||Blower door and duct seals tests are part of the rating certification process.|
|On final inspection, City staff to verify HVAC sizes and attic insulation certification by installer.||Prior to Certificate of Occupancy (CO) being issued, rater to submit document certifying 2009 IECC equivalent compliance.|
|Please indicate on the application whether the prescriptive or energy rater method will be used for energy code compliance.|
- The Residential Plan Review and Permit Fee is paid when the residential building permit is issued.
- Checks are payable to the City of Olathe.
Call 913-971-7900 for additional information.