Michael Copeland is now serving his fifth term as City of Olathe Mayor.
- Mayor Copeland is the 58th and longest-serving Olathe Mayor.
- He was first elected Mayor in April 2001.
- He served as At-Large Councilmember and Mayor Pro Tem from April 1995 to April 2001.
- He was first elected to the Olathe City Council as Ward 4 Councilmember in 1993.
Mayor Copeland currently represents the City of Olathe with the following organizations:
- Boy Scouts of America Iron Horse Honorary District Committee
- Johnson and Wyandotte Counties Council of Mayors, Past Chairman
- Johnson County Community College Foundation Board
- Johnson County Education Research Triangle Authority
- KVC Health Systems, Inc. Board
- Mayor’s Christmas Tree Fund, Honorary Chairman
- Olathe Chamber of Commerce Board
- Union Station Kansas City Board
- Kansas Hospital Authority Board
Mayor Copeland has previously represented the City of Olathe with the following organizations:
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce Board
- KC SmartPort Board
Mayor Copeland has been recognized in several areas of community service:
Promoting equal opportunities and fostering understanding and appreciation among diverse groups in our community:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Legacy Award, Olathe Branch of the NAACP, 2011
- Chairman’s Award, Olathe Human Relations Commission, 2010
Promoting children’s literacy:
- Daily Points of Light Award, 2007
- Friends of Education Award, Confidence in Kansas Public Education Task Force, 2007
Advocating for our military:
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve Patriot Award, 2006
Supporting youth and families:
- Citizen of the Year, KidsTLC, 2005
- Community Partner Award, KVC Health Systems, Inc., 2005
- Distinguished Community Service Award, MidAmerica Nazarene University in Olathe, 2009
- Alumnus of the Year, MidAmerica Nazarene University in Olathe, 2009
- Citizen of the Year, Olathe Chamber of Commerce, 2007
- Graduate, Leadership Olathe, 1994
Goals for Olathe
- Ensure that Olathe remains nationally-recognized as one of America's best places to live.
- Direct City resources toward our citizens' top priorities, such as traffic improvement projects and public safety.
- Ensure that the City is forward thinking and taking a strategic approach to quality planning for our future.
- Keep Olathe government open and accessible for our citizens.
- Broaden our community's tax base, with a focus on knowledge-based jobs for our information-age, global economy.
Mike and his wife Maria live in Olathe with their two daughters, Olivia and Abigail, and their son, Joshua.