Olathe has adopted Charter Ordinances to establish a modified Mayor-Council-Manager Form of Government.
City Council Positions
- One Mayor
- Two Councilmembers elected by the City as a whole (at-large)
- Four Councilmembers elected by district (ward)
Council members must be a resident of the City while in office. A vacancy is created on the Council if any member takes permanent residence outside the City limits of Olathe.
In case of any vacancy in the position of any Councilmember, the remaining members of the Council must elect a suitable person to fill the vacancy until the next regular City election.
Role of the City Council
- Appoints the City Manager
- Establishes City policy
- Serves as the legislative body
- Approves the City budget
Role of the City Manager
- Manages day-to-day affairs
- Enforces laws and ordinances
- Appoints and removes employees
- Prepares the City budget
- Makes recommendations to the Council