Michael Wilkes has served as the City Manager of Olathe since January 1999.
A native of Alabama, Wilkes earned his Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of Alabama and his Master of Public Administration Degree from Georgia State University.
He began his local government career in 1984 as an administrative intern in the County Manager's Office in Jackson County, Oregon.
He subsequently worked in Eugene, Oregon as a budget analyst before going to work for Gwinnett County, Georgia.
Though he began work in Gwinnett County as the budget manager, he progressed through the organization to eventually become assistant county manager over the course of seven years with the county.
Wilkes spent six years as the city administrator of Alpharetta, Georgia, the fastest growing city in the state of Georgia.
Wilkes represents the City of Olathe with the following organizations:
- Santa Fe Trail Rotary Club
- The Executive Committee of the Olathe Chamber of Commerce Board
- The Olathe Economic Development Council
- The Olathe Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Council
- The National Board for the Alliance for Innovation
- The Kansas League of Municipalities
Wilkes has been recognized in several areas of community service:
- Excellence in Public Management, Kansas Association of City/County Managers, 2016
- Olathe's 150 Most Notable People, Olathe's Sesquicentennial celebration, 2008
- Character Award for City Government, Olathe Character Council, 2007
- Leadership Kansas, 2005
- Olathe Citizen of the Year, 2001
Wilkes attends Grace Church, where he also serves as secretary on the board of directors.
Wilkes is married to Holly, and they have two daughters, Rachel and Hannah.
Contact Michael Wilkes at OlatheConnect