In March 2018 the Olathe City Council established the foundation for the Olathe 2040: Future Ready Strategic Plan, including five focus areas: Future Ready, Economy, Exceptional Services, Infrastructure, and Quality of Life.
A comprehensive public engagement process gathered 3,202 ideas for Olathe’s future from residents using online and in-person engagement. The business community and other key community groups also contributed their input. The Strategic Planning Advisory Committee considered those ideas along with local, regional, and global trends to establish the Vision Framework and developed a vision for each focus area.
A team of approximately 100 City staff members contributed to creating goals, strategies, measures, and targets to make this new, community-focused plan ready for implementation. Staff considered thousands of ideas and narrowed them to ones that are most consistent with the Guiding Principles set by the Strategic Planning Advisory Committee.
The Advisory Committee developed Guiding Principles as a lens to help evaluate the vision statements, goals, and strategies included in the strategic plan.
Olathe 2040 Focus Areas
The Olathe 2040: Future Ready strategic plan centers on five focus areas. Each focus area includes a vision for 2040 that aligns with being Future Ready - resilient, innovative, nimble, and collaborative in addressing tomorrow’s issues today.
Olathe takes a future ready approach. We are resilient, innovative, nimble, and collaborative in how we address tomorrow's challenges today.
- Residents and businesses are thriving, engaged in the community, and continuing to adapt and plan into the future.
- Regionalism has made our metropolitan area a model for the nation.
People choose Olathe. It is filled with healthy, safe people living in quality neighborhoods, connected to important places and each other.
- Olathe is a great place to live and age well.
- People come to Olathe and stay because it is a place that provides hope for their future.
- Olathe is an inclusive community where everyone can live a productive life, where there are good jobs, attainable housing, quality amenities, access to quality education, child care, and health services.
- People feel safe and connected to their neighbors and have community pride.
Olathe delivers smart, connected, integrated, innovative infrastructure that is safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable.
- Our infrastructure is innovative, reliable, efficient, affordable, and sustainable.
- Transportation is safe, convenient, affordable, connected to the regional transportation system, and environmentally-friendly.
- Our infrastructure is prepared for and can recover quickly from disruption.
Olathe is an economic leader in the region. Our strong economic base is built by highly successful businesses of all sizes, entrepreneurs, a skilled workforce, a vibrant downtown, and other attractive places throughout the community.
- Olathe’s diverse business and strong tax base thrives even during economic downturns.
- Olathe’s residents are prosperous.
- Downtown Olathe features vibrant businesses, residences, civic services, and a popular community gathering place.
- A highly-skilled and diverse workforce serves the needs of all segments of the community.
- Educational training programs create job opportunities for young people to remain in our community.
- Olathe’s built environment supports success for retail and service-oriented businesses and is sustainably positioned for the economic currency of the future.
Olathe efficiently provides high quality services the community values.
- The City of Olathe utilizes resources to meet or exceed public expectations.
- Residents have confidence in their community leaders.
- Community members participate in local government decision-making.
- The City of Olathe’s workforce sets the standard for excellence in local government.
- City officials collaborate with regional, state and federal officials to enhance service delivery and quality of life.