Emerald Ash Borer

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


What is Emerald Ash Borer?

Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is an imported insect that attacks and kills all species of North American Ash trees.
Ash trees could be up to one of every three trees on private properties in Olathe.
Nothing can be done to prevent the Emerald Ash Borer from spreading. 

Why should I be concerned about EAB?

If an untreated Ash tree is infested it will not survive. Infested trees become a risk to you, your neighbors and your property. 


Should I treat my Ash tree before it gets EAB?

Treatment is an option; however, it must be maintained for the life of the tree at an annual expense of approximately $120+ per tree, based on location, size and access level.
Not all trees should be treated. Before treatment, ask:

  • Is the tree healthy and structurally sound?
  • Does the tree hold sentimental value?
  • Is the tree 10 inches in diameter or larger?  Smaller trees can be replaced for a more economical solution.

What should I consider when hiring an arborist?

Consider the following:

  • Does the arborist hold certification? It is recommended that your arborist hold current certification through the Kansas Arborist Association (KAA) or the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA). Both are annual certifications requiring proof of appropriate insurance, training and knowledge.
  • What insurance does the arborist carry? Please ensure your arborist holds worker’s compensation and liability insurance (these are required for KAA or ISA certification)
  • How does the arborist want to be paid? It is recommended that you do not pay a contractor until the work is 100% complete.
  • What is the scope of work in the contract? Ensure that all parties involved understand the scope of work (i.e. will the tree debris be removed or just cut down, will the stump be ground or left at a certain height, what is the standard of clean up, etc.).

Will the City of Olathe treat or remove trees near my property?

The City maintains trees on public property.  Maintenance of trees on private property is the responsibility of the property owner.

What can if do if I feel threatened by a tree on another property?

Call City of Olathe Codes Enforcement at 913-971-8600.

Where can I learn more?

View our video or visit Kansas Dept. of Agriculture for more information and a list of certified arborists.
Print this information.











Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer