The City offers recreation scholarships to make recreation programs more affordable to low and moderate income residents.
Scholarships are based on annual income utilizing the 150 percent level of the current Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Approval into the program allows you to register for eligible activities at a cost of 50% of the program fee. Most activities, including summer outdoor pool memberships are eligible for the scholarship discount.
- Some programs are not eligible for the scholarship discount.
- Regular Olathe Community Center Memberships are not eligible, however, scholarship recipients can purchase a 10-visit membership at the discounted rate.
Contact the scholarship coordinator with any questions regarding activity eligibility.
Approved applicants pay 75 percent of the program fee for Special Olympics State competitions. Each participant is allowed one discounted Special Olympics State competition per calendar year while funding is available.
An application with income documentation must be submitted to the scholarship coordinator. Ensure the application is completed, signed, dated, and all required income documents that apply to you are included:
- Federal Income Tax Return for the previous year.
- Child support verification
- Welfare assistance/alimony
- Social Security Administration current benefit letter
- Any Dependent(s) not listed on the income tax return require a copy of the child’s birth certificate
- If you received insufficient income to file a tax return, you must submit an“I Certify” form
- Scholarship applications are processed within five to seven working days.
- Plan ahead. Your scholarship must be approved before registering for an activity at the discounted rate. There are no holds on classes or refunds on fees.
- The City notifies applicants by US mail if their application is approved or not approved.
- You must re-apply for the scholarship program in April of each year. All approved scholarships are effective through April 1st.
Paper applications can be delivered to the Olathe Community Center, 1205 E. Kansas City Rd., or faxed to 913-971-8690.