- Shows how a piece of land is divided into lots with streets and alleys.
- Used to sell the described lots within a residential subdivision.
- Used to legally dedicate land for roads and other right-of-way areas.
- Refers to lot numbers rather than portions of sections by legal description after a plat is filed.
- A general layout evaluated to determine if a design is suitable for the land and complies with the City's subdivision regulations.
- Some modification of the preliminary plat is permitted with the final plat application submittal, provided the original design concept has not changed.
- Preliminary plats are reviewed and approved or denied by the Planning Commission.
- A division of land into two or more lots, building sites or other divisions for sale or development.
- Final plats must be approved by the Olathe City Council if easements and/or rights-of-ways are dedicated.
- Excise Taxes are collected before a final plat is recorded for streets, traffic signals and parks.
- Final plats typically take 90 days from submittal to be recorded with the Johnson County department of Records and Tax Administration.
- Access the Automated Information Mapping System (AIMS) to search for recorded Johnson County plat images.
- A subdivision containing no more than five lots and not requiring dedication of public right-of-way or easements.
- An adjustment in boundaries of adjoining platted lots.
- A resurvey to combine two or more platted lots or tracts.
- A resurvey of platted lots or tracts to subdivide building units for individual ownership such as condominium or townhouse plats.
- When a property owner subdivides a larger parcel of property into smaller lots, or smaller lots are combined into one larger lot.
- The lot boundaries change, but the ownership of the property does not change until a deed is recorded.
Vacation of Easements or Rights-of-Way
When it is deemed to be in the public interest, all or a portion of any street, alley or public reservation, including, but not limited to, public utility or drainage easements, dedicated building setback lines and access control may be vacated.