COVID-19 Animal Control Update:
The Olathe Animal Shelter is open. To allow for social distancing, one family at a time will be allowed in the shelter. If you plan to come to the shelter, please call 913-971-6362 ahead of time to make an appointment.
The front doors will remain locked during business hours. If you arrive without an appointment, you will be required to wait in your car until there is no other family inside. Please call to let us know you are waiting and we will advise when you can enter. Thank you for your patience.
Olathe operates a clean, modern animal shelter with many animals offered for adoption.
Animal Control Services
Educate pet owners:
- It is unlawful to allow a dog to "run at large" in Olathe.
- It is unlawful to keep a dog or a cat six months old and older without proper licensing.
- Outdoor dogs and cats must wear a license tag.
- A Special Use Permit is required for persons, residential premises, or households with more than a combined total of four animals four months old and older.
- Female animals in heat must be confined in a manner that prevents contact with a male animal. Exceptions apply for planned breeding.
Enforce the Olathe Municipal Code Title 8 - Animals
- Investigate animal bites, cruelty to animals, and other enforcement of the Animal Municipal Code
- License pets
- Offer animal adoption
- Protect animals and city residents
- Reunite pets with their owners:
Register a lost pet or report a found animal.
- Animal License and Fees
- Donate to the Olathe Animal Shelter
- Nuisance Wildlife Policy
- Pick Up After Your Pet