Nuisance Wildlife Policy

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Animal Control Response to Wildlife Management

A City animal control officer (ACO) will respond to calls for service regarding wildlife when any of the following conditions are reported:

  • A sick or injured wild animal is inside the living quarters of a residence.
  • A sick or injured wild animal is creating an immediate threat to public health or safety.

Olathe residents who request assistance for nuisance wildlife control are referred to the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks.

  • A current list of Nuisance Wildlife Damage Control permittees is provided.
  • Select NADC Permit Holders - Region 2 to access to access the current list or call 913-422-1314 for additional information.

Private property owners are financially responsible for nuisance wildlife management and damage caused by wildlife on their own property.  The City of Olathe is not responsible for damage to private property as a result of nuisance wildlife, regardless of the origin of the nuisance wildlife.


Nuisance Wildlife is found living in or near buildings where people reside, destroying or about to destroy property, creating a public health or safety hazard or wildlife that remains after all methods of exclusion, habitat modification and removal of attractants have failed.

Sick or Injured is a wild animal diseased or injured such that its ability to escape capture is physically impaired or absent.

Inside the living quarters of a residence means that the wild animal has obtained entry inside the areas of a residence where people live, eat, sleep, etc. This excludes garages, sheds, attics, crawl spaces, areas under porches and decks, and any other area not normally considered to be where people live.

Immediate threat means that public health or safety is imminent without Animal Control Unit intervention.

Nuisance Wildlife

The purpose of the Nuisance Wildlife Management Permit is to provide a clear guideline and procedure for Nuisance Wildlife Trappers to follow for complete compliance with City of Olathe ordinance regarding the trapping of animals using dangerous or lethal means.

This permit is required when the use of dangerous or lethal means is the method to be used for nuisance wildlife management.

Additional Resource

Olathe Municipal Code Title 8 - Animals

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer