The Olathe Police Department (OPD) maintains the highest standards of professionalism with the Field Training and Evaluation Program designed to meet the following objectives:
- Provide trained and motivated police officers capable of meeting or exceeding standards of performance required by the OPD.
- Provide standardized training for newly hired police officers; and remedial training in areas where deficiencies are identified.
- Create an environment that builds on the foundation of knowledge and skills recruit officers learned at the Academy to increase proficiency and develop new skills.
- Provide on-the-job observation of each new officer’s performance and improve the OPD screening process.
- Utilize a valid, job-related appraisal system, through a standardized and systematic approach, that documents measurement of probationary officer performance.
- Establish career paths within the OPD by providing additional training and opportunities that develops leadership skills for officers selected as field trainers.
- Increase efficiency and effectiveness in the OPD by enhancing the climate of professionalism and competency demanded by the ethical standards of law enforcement.
The OPD is a proud member of the National Association of Field Training Officers (NAFTO).
Call 913-971-7500 for additional information.