Off-duty police officers can be hired by a private employer.
- Maintain order at events.
- Provide law enforcement functions for persons or private property.
- Provide traffic or pedestrian control on private property.
1. Submit a request at OlatheConnect or call 913-971-6730 at least two weeks prior to the event.
2. Plan to provide the following:
- Documentation of general liability insurance
- Description of job duties to be performed
- A site visit, upon request
- Assignments are limited to Olathe city limits, unless approved otherwise by the chief of police.
- Assignments can be one time or on a more permanent basis.
- The hourly pay rate is the individual police officer’s overtime hourly rate + city personnel costs (not to exceed $85.29 per hour).
- Police officers wear the uniform issued by the Olathe Police Department, unless approved otherwise by the chief of police.
- Police officers utilize standard issued equipment.
- Private employers will carry a minimum of $500,000 general liability insurance coverage.
- All police officers stationed at a temporary work site are subject to mobilization by the Olathe Police Department in the event of an emergency or staffing needs.
- Contractors must notify the Olathe Police Department of any cancellation at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to the start of any temporary work assignment. Failure to cancel within twenty-four (24) hours will result in a two (2) hour minimum charge per assigned police officer.
- Police officers are prohibited from providing non-security activities including but not limited to serving food or beverages including alcohol, parking cars, collecting tickets, stocking shelves, handing out pamphlets, and influencing traffic flow in a public right of way.
- Police officers will not be approved to contract with any employer whose associates or operations are of questionable nature; create a conflict of interest; discredit the officer, the Olathe Police Department or the City of Olathe. Some prohibited off-duty officer employment includes:
- Retailers who sell, manufacture, or transport alcoholic beverages, liquor or cereal malt beverages as the principal business.
- Retailers or employment that sells pornographic material or provides services of a sexual nature.
- Gambling establishments that are not exempted by law.
- Businesses connected with vehicle tows or storage; debt collections, bodyguards, bail bonds, property re-possessions, private investigations, process servers, or taxi drivers.
- Performance of any work for an entity/organization or labor group that is on strike.
- Performance of any non-police work regulated or licensed through the Olathe Police Department.
- Performance of any personnel investigations for any entity/organization.
- Performance of any activity at the request of or under the direction of the entity/organization which supports case preparation for the defense in any criminal or civil action.
- Performance of any work that requires access to police files or records.
Please use the Outside Overtime Work Agreement for off duty police officer requests.