Off-duty police officers can be hired by a private employer.
- Maintain order at events.
- Provide security or law enforcement for persons or private property.
- Provide traffic or pedestrian control on private property.
1. Submit a request at OlatheConnect or call 913-971-6730 at least two weeks prior to the event.
2. Plan to provide the following:
- Documentation of workers compensation insurance
- Description of job duties to be performed
- A site visit, upon request
- Off-duty assignments are limited to Olathe city limits, unless approved otherwise by the police chief.
- Off-duty assignments can be for one time or for a more permanent basis.
- Permanent assignments should require all traditional paperwork associated with employment such as W-4, K-4, etc.
- The hourly pay rate is established between the employer and the officer. The current minimum rate is $35 per hour.
- Off-duty officers wear uniforms issued by the Olathe Police Department, unless approved otherwise by the police chief.
- Officers utilize standard issued equipment. Requests for equipment outside standard issue such as vehicles, bicycles, canines, computers, etc. must be authorized by the police chief.
- Workers compensation insurance is required to cover anything that happens to the officer outside on-duty functions. Employers hiring an off-duty officer for security work shall carry the statutory limits for workers compensation insurance and a minimum of $500,000 general liability insurance coverage. The officer and the employer will bear the responsibility for legal actions arising from off-duty employment.
- Off-duty officers will not provide response to criminal activity if the matter can be handled by an on-duty officer. Off-duty officers will attempt to contact on-duty officers if the use of police force is required.
- Off-duty officers are prohibited from providing non-security activities including but not limited to serving food or beverages including alcohol, parking cars, collecting tickets, stocking shelves, handing out pamphlets, and influencing traffic flow in a public right of way.
- Off- duty employment will not be approved to any employer whose associates or operations are of questionable nature; create a conflict of interest; discredit the officer, the OPD or the City of Olathe. Some prohibited off-duty officer employment includes:
- Retailers who sell, manufacture, or transport alcoholic beverages, liquor or cereal malt beverages as the principal business.
- Retailers or employment that sells pornographic material or provides services of a sexual nature.
- Gambling establishments that are not exempted by law.
- Businesses connected with vehicle tows or storage; debt collections, bodyguards, bail bonds, property re-possessions, private investigations, process servers, or taxi drivers.
- Performance of any work for an entity/organization or labor group that is on strike.
- Performance of any non-police work regulated or licensed through the OPD.
- Performance of any personnel investigations for any entity/organization.
- Performance of any activity at the request of or under the direction of the entity/organization which supports case preparation for the defense in any criminal or civil action.
- Performance of any work that requires access to police files or records.