Did you know in the past five years, all 50 states have experienced flooding? Factors such as changing weather patterns or land development can present new flooding risks at your home and community.
Know your flood hazard
- Check the Flood Zones Map to see if you live in a flood prone area.
Insure your property for your flood hazard:
- Ask your insurance agent if you are covered for flood damage.
- Take advantage of a low-cost Preferred Risk Policy.
- Contact your insurance agent if you experience flooding.
- Get a Permit from the Olathe Building Codes Division before you build.
- Maintain positive drainage away from your home’s foundation.
- Do not add fill material in floodplains, as this can increase the risk of flooding.
Protect yourself from the hazard:
- Monitor local radio and TV stations for flash flood warnings.
- Do not drive or walk through moving water.
- Stay away from downed power lines.
Protect your property from flooding:
- Elevate furnaces and other utilities above potential flood levels.
- Secure important documents digitally or outside of your home.
- Make an itemized list of possessions.
- Save receipts for expensive household items.
Protect the Natural Floodplain Functions:
- Report stream blockages such as fallen trees or beaver dams at (913) 971-9042.
- Plant and maintain vegetation along streambanks to slow erosion.
- Remove trash and debris from floodplains.
The following resources are provided to help property owners determine if flood insurance is required.
Property owners are encouraged to contact their mortgage company for an official determination.
Search the FEMA Map to locate the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) for your location.
Search Letter of Map Amendments and Letter of Map Changes to determine if property has been removed from the flood plain.
- Letter of Map Amendment No. 09-07-1316A
- Letter of Map Amendment No. 09-07-1317A
- Letter of Map Amendment No. 09-07-1957A
- Letter of Map Change No. MICS-30056V
Search FEMA Flood Plain Maps
- National Flood Insurance Program
- Indian Creek Community Notification
- FEMA Flood Preparation and Safety (English)
- FEMA Flood Preparation and Safety (Spanish)
- FEMA Ask Before you Buy: Know Your Flood Risk!
Contact Flooding at OlatheConnect or call 913-971-9071 for additional information.