Effective Wednesday, May 13, the Household Hazardous Waste Facility will re-open for regular business hours (Wednesday through Saturday) with additional safety procedures in place.
- Johnson County residents can drop off Household Hazardous Waste, free of charge, by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Make an appointment online or call Customer Service at 913-971-9311. Appointments can be made up to one month in advance.
- For the safety of staff, customers will be asked to REMAIN IN THEIR VEHICLE at all times during the drop-off. Staff will remove all materials.
- All current acceptable/non-acceptable materials WILL be accepted.
- Olathe residents CAN recycle Electronic Waste. Olathe residency identification will be required.
The ReUse Facility will remain closed until further notice. The monthly second Saturday Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off events are cancelled until further notice.
Only Olathe residents, will be permitted to recycle Electronic Waste at the HHW facility. Photo ID is required.
Business waste will not be accepted.
To prevent a chemical mixing hazard, please do not transport materials in trash bags.
The City of Olathe operates a year-round program for Johnson County residents to safely dispose of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) at no charge.
HHW is any unwanted household chemical that cannot safely be discarded in the trash or down the drain because it contains ingredients that are toxic, flammable, reactive, or corrosive.
Check the label to see if it contains key words such as "warning," "caution," "danger," "flammable," "toxic," "poison," or symbols such as a skull and cross bones.
Proper disposal prevents HHW from entering the environment, damaging soil, groundwater and streams, or causing harm to people and animals.
Schedule your appointment 24-hours in advance.
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
First, third, and fourth Saturday of every month from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Call 913-971-9311 or Schedule Now!
Schedule Now - Internet Browser Troubleshooting
Monthly Drop-off HHW Event - CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Second Saturday of every month from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
No appointment is necessary.
5-gal. liquid limit enforced.
No trailers permitted.
Identify items you can drop off at the HHW monthly event
This event is a drive-thru system:
- Liquid waste must be less than five gallons.
- Label items that are not in their original containers.
- E-waste is not accepted
- Plan to provide your photo ID.
- Provide a general description of your HHW when you arrive.
- Wait for City employees to unload the HHW from your vehicle.
- Do not transport materials in trash bags.