Water Leak Maintained by the Property Owner
The property owner is responsible for maintaining:
- The water service line from the meter to the property owner’s building.
- The plumbing inside the residence or commercial building.
- The property owner retains a local plumber to repair their water leak.
Water Leak Maintained by the City
The City of Olathe is responsible for maintaining:
- The water line leading to the meter on private property.
- The water meter.
Water Meter Maintained by the City
- The City shuts water off at the meter.
- Fines can be assessed if the property owner or a contracted company tampers with the water meter.
Contact the City
- Call 913-971-9311, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., if a leak on the water line leading to the meter is suspected.
- Call 913-971-5151, Monday through Friday, from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m., weekends, and holidays.
Restoring Water Quality
- Water may be discolored and there may be air in the lines following water line repair or shut off.
- Running water taps for a few minutes should clear discoloration and air, resulting in water that is safe to drink.
- Discoloration is due to stirring-up mineral deposits coating water lines, disrupted when the main breaks.