The Olathe Police Department Explorer Post is designed to provide challenging knowledge and training for young people interested in a law enforcement career. Participants receive hands on experience to prepare them for the realities of a law enforcement career. The Explorers are given the opportunity to perform various police tasks while not being placed in dangerous situations.
Applications for the 2019-2020 session opens May 1, 2019. Applications can be picked up at the Olathe Police Department (501 E. Old 56 Highway) or at Olathe High School SRO’s Offices. Applications are due back by June 28, 2019. Interviews for new applicants will tentatively be schedule from July 8 to 19, 2019.
Public, private, and home school students are welcome to apply.
- Must be 14-20 years of age
- Must have completed the 8th grade
- Must be able to pass a criminal background investigation and driving check
- Maintain at least a “C” average in school
- Have no serious arrests or convictions
- Maintain good moral character
- Demonstrate willingness to serve and participate in Explorer activities
- Residency in Olathe is not a requirement
- Submit an application for the following membership year
- Successfully complete the application process including: application, interview, and background investigation
- Explorer staff and advisers determine acceptance
New members are placed on probation for a period not to exceed six months.
- During the probation period, the Explorer must actively participate in all meetings and activities
- Failing to participate will result in removal from the program
Explorers must maintain good grades in school with no involvement in criminal activity, and maintain a good driving record.
Police Explorers are representatives of the Olathe Police Department. They must conduct their private and professional lives in such a manner to avoid adverse reflection on the program and/or the Police Department.
Returning Explorers meet every other Thursday. New Explorers meet every Tuesday from September through December. In January all Explorers meet every other Thursday. Explorers are expected to volunteer for community events throughout the school year. Participants discuss topics of law enforcement, not limited to:
- Accident Investigation
- Criminal Investigation Process
- Criminal Laws
- Crime Prevention
- Domestic Violence
- DNA and Evidence Collection
- DUI Check Lanes
- Firearms Safety
- First Aid
- General Police Procedures
- Police Officer Ride-Along
- Radio Procedures
- Traffic Enforcement
- Traffic Control
- Traffic Laws
Explorers are expected to participate in end of the year Challenges. These are usually limited to 2 Challenges in the month of June.
Contact the Police Explorer Post 2885 at OlatheConnect or call 913-971-7500 for more information.